Hamilton United Methodist Church
Friday, May 24, 2013
GATHER, GROW, and GO
Few if any organizations have the rich and colorful heritage claimed by the
Before the Civil War a handful of Methodists worshipped at
The first Sunday School was organized on Sunday April 7, 1878, at Lebanon church. W.R. White was the first Sunday School Superintendent and served over fifty years.
In 1885 a lot was purchased where businesses and the Masonic Lodge now stands. A simple two-story white frame building was erected, owned by Methodists and Masons. The first trustees were Robert Cashion and John C. Belk. Early members consisted of the Ballards, Belks, Browns, Cashions, Keys, Hughes, Mixons, Owens, Tices, Sandersons, Wigintons, and others.
In 1909 the Hamilton church became a station. The Reverend John R. Waters was the first pastor. It was under Rev. Waters that the Missionary Society was organized with twelve members. Mrs. Betty Arnold was the first president with three charter members: Mrs. Worth McKenzie, Mrs. W. B. Howell, and Mrs. Arnold.
In 1923, ground was broken to build a new brick church at the corner of Bexar Avenue and Military Highway. This new building was completed in October of 1924, and was the finest building in
In 1960 the additional education wings were added to the structure at a cost of $103,000. Soon after that the sanctuary was renovated to include the beautiful woodwork that enhanced the beauty of the stained glass windows. A steeple was added in 1982 and the fellowship hall completed in 1992.
From 1863 until 2006 sixty-eight pastors have served the Hamilton United Methodist Church. It is through their guidance, influence, and building together in faith that the congregation can serve as the hands and feet of our Heavenly Father.